Restoring Dignity of Leprosy Affected Persons and Their Family Members
Sasakawa-India Leprosy Foundation works for mainstreaming persons affected by leprosy and their families through socio-economic empowerment, thereby fighting stigma and restoring dignity.
Our area of focus are:
• Providing technical support and micro grants for setting up micro enterprises for self-employment
• Providing access to vocational training and higher education
• Empowering leprosy affected people to access government welfare schemes.
• Raising awareness about leprosy among all sections of society to fight the fight the stigma
• Engaging with opinion and policy makers for their rights and inclusion.
In the last 11 years since inception, we have impacted the lives of 6000 leprosy affected people directly.
1. Livelihood:S-ILF has worked on a total of 285 livelihood projects in 18 states across the country, thereby positively impacting more than 2,359 leprosy affected families directly.
2. Education: It has given scholarships to 65 students for nursing and 49 students to pursue higher studies and 654 youth for entry-level skill training. Of these, more than 360 have found employment. Also, provided tuition support to 25 children as part of our pilot project last year.
3. Awareness & Advocacy:
Empowerment workshop was taken up as a pilot project in 33 colonies in 15 districts in MP, Odisha, Karnataka and West Bengal. Over the last two years, we have reached out to 1,513 families. Applications from these colonies have been submitted to MP/MLA and local authorities for housing, road, electricity, toilets, drinking water, BPL card, ration card, social security schemes and are in different stages of approval.
We have also reached out to 8,300 young adults (in schools & colleges), corporate houses, conducted training for vocational trainers, coordinated a show on Leprosy: Myths, cure, treatment & care in Doordarshan’s Health Show series, and public through awareness programmes.
Lodhi Road South Delhi,
New Delhi, Delhi 110003