What is it?
Giving is always a personal experience, but sharing the joy of giving helps inspire others to do the same. It also gives visibility to the NGO or recipient of your generosity. #MyGivingStoryIndia is a challenge run as part of #GivingTuesdayIndia, where participants write in with their personal stories of giving and nominate an NGO of their choice.
Once published on the website, people can vote for their favourite stories.
This is an opportunity to inspire others by sharing a profound story that changed your life as a giver/ change-maker or as a recipient or even as someone who watched an incident or act of giving.
There are only a few days left of the #MyGivingStoryIndia challenge. The sooner you submit your story and share, the sooner you can start earning votes to win donations for your favourite NGO.
There are Donations prizes of Rs.150,000 for your nominated NGOs.
Every story can win donations prizes!
1. Rupee 1 per vote for the first 100,000 votes. To qualify, your story should get at least 500 votes.
2. Story getting the highest votes will receive a donation of Rs10,000 subject to a minimum of 1000 votes.
3. Top 30 stories will be sent to a jury to pick the 3 best stories as per international criteria.
First Prize Rs25,000
Second Prize Rs10,000
Third Prize Rs5,000
Best stories would receive global recognition through certificates from GivingTuesday Global leaders and a mention in the global list of best stories.
Story tellers and their nominated NGOs will get recognition through our portal and social media channels.
Who can enter?
All residents of India, regardless of age, ethnicity, gender, caste or religious beliefs, are eligible to enter.
How to participate?
The challenge will be open from 15 September - 11December. Entries can be made at any point during this period through registering and submitting a completed #MyGivingStoryIndia form. After submitting your story, SHARE it on social media, and through WhatsApp. Invite everyone you know to vote. Be sure to use the hashtag #MyGivingStoryIndia. The more you share, the more votes your story will get, and the more likely you'll win a donation for your nominated NGO. All published stories will be shared on GTI’s social media handles. Winners will be announced on a Tuesday in November.
Rules for submission:
- All written submissions should be no more than 1900 characters (approx. 300 words), and must include a photograph or a drawing.
- Alternatively, it is also possible to submit stories as videos, which should be no longer than 2 minutes.
- It is only possible to nominate one NGO per story.
- Nominated NGOs must have their 12A tax exemption registration, 80G registration and should have filed their tax returns (ITR FY 2016-17/FY 2017-18) to be eligible to receive a donation.
- It is also possible to nominate any of the GuideStar India certified/registered NGOs listed on this site.Search here
- Stories posted are not required to be about or related to nominated NGOs.
- Stories can be posted in any Indian language. (We may contact you if we need it to be translated into English.)
- Abusive content will not be tolerated. GivingTuesday India reserves the right to withdraw published stories at its own discretion.
- The entry (written/video/image) should be original unpublished work.
What kind of story should I write?
Your story can be about your own personal experience, an act of giving you were witness to, or a story you heard that inspired you. You can be as creative as you want! Here are a few ideas to get you going:
- Write about the first time you ever made a donation.
- Tell us about someone whose philanthropy you admire.
- Tell us if you ever saw a gift or a donation have a meaningful impact.
- Talk about what motivates you to give.
- Write about why you think giving is important.
- Was there an incident that made you realise how important it is to give? Tell us about it!
- Have you ever been a recipient of or witness to a selfless act of giving or kindness that moved you? Share you experience!
Any tips for creating a winning entry?
- Use an image that is a good visual representation of your story. Avoid using any kinds of logos.
- SHARE your story far and wide to get votes!
- Tell your chosen NGO about your story and that you nominated them as the recipient. Share the story link with them and ask them to help motivate their followers and donors to vote for your story.
How do I choose an NGO to nominate?
Nominated NGOs must have their 12A tax exemption registration, and should have filed their tax returns (ITR FY 2016-17/FY 2017-18) to be eligible to win. Other than that, we encourage you to choose one whose work and impact is meaningful to you. If you are not familiar with any specific organisations, you can look through the GuideStar India certified NGOs listed on this site.
How will I know if my story wins?
The winning stories will be announced through the website and through our social media on a Tuesday in November. We will also email you to let you know the results.
Does my story have to relate to the NGO I nominate?
Not at all! Feel free to nominate any NGO you feel is deserving.
Is it possible for NGO founders/trustees/employees to submit stories about their organisation?
Of course! If you have founded or joined an NGO - we want to know what inspired you!
Is it possible to submit a story about someone else? If so, do I need to put their contact details?
Yes, it is absolutely possible. Put your own contact details as you are the story-teller.
SUBMITTING YOUR STORY
I’m having trouble uploading my video or photo. What should I do?
Oh no! We're sorry to hear that! Go through this checklist to see if any of these may be the reason:
- Check that your video or photo size is within the limits of what we are able to accept. Photos must be no larger than 2MB and in one of the following formats: .gif, .jpg, .jpeg, .png. Videos must be in one of the following formats: AVI, MOV, WMV, MP4, MPEG, FLV, 3GP, and 3G2; must be under 40 MB and under 2 minutes.
- Check your internet connection. Are you being able to navigate on other websites freely?
- Finally, try from a different computer.
If you are still having trouble, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I submitted a story a few days ago and I can't seem to find it. Do I need to re-submit it?
If you did not receive an automatic email confirmation, it probably did not come through. If you cannot find your submission in the online gallery, it probably did not come through. The stories appear almost instantly. We would love to have you participate, so if you are willing to submit again, please do. If you still have trouble, email us at email@example.com
EDITING YOUR STORY
Can I edit my story after I submitted it?
Once you submit your story, unfortunately, there is no way for you to make edits. If you send us the edits at firstname.lastname@example.org
, we will do our best to get it updated from the back end.
My story was submitted for me before I was finished. Can I edit/update my unfinished story?
There is no limit to the number of stories you can submit. So if this happens, you can always try submitting it again. Email us at email@example.com
to alert us about the unfinished submission and we will take it down as soon as possible.
Can I delete my entry?
We can delete it for you. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
and tell us which story it is -- the email you used to submit it or the title of your submission. And we are always curious to understand why you decided to delete it - so do give us a reason!
Is it possible to use a different thumbnail for my video?
Unfortunately, no. The thumbnail used is taken by default from a few seconds into the video. It is the same for all entries.
VOTING AND ORDER OF STORIES
How will the stories be ordered?
The order of display is random and rotates regularly and for each visitor. If you want people to be able to go directly to your story, you can share the link that that goes directly to your story.
How does someone vote for their favourite story?
To vote, select the story you like, and simply click on the little heart "vote" icon. If you have shared the link to your particular story (see below for how to find that link), it will take them directly to your story.
How do I search for a particular story?
You can find a particular story, or organisation, or even an issue you care about, if you enter what you are looking for in the search bar. You should be able to find it. This isn’t a perfect system, because it depends on what the entrant put into their story. If you still can’t find what you are looking for, email us at email@example.com
How many times can someone vote?
Each voter can vote for as many stories as they like, and can come back each day and vote for more or vote again for the same ones. The only limit is that each voter can vote for any particular story only once per day.
Why do people have to give their emails to vote?
The email registration to vote is a way for us to validate votes and be sure it is not a robot somewhere voting for one story. We do value everyone's privacy, and these emails will not be shared with any third parties for any purpose. We might send out an email or two to all the voters to thank them and to encourage them to share their favourite stories on social media.
How do I find a link to my story so my friends can vote?
To get voters, you can share the link to your particular story, which should be included in your confirmation email. Alternatively, you can also click on 'share' on the right hand corner of your story, and the option for the story link will come up along with social share options.
Is there a way to see how many votes my story has received?
No, unfortunately the number of votes is not available to see. But the best way to ensure your story gets votes it to share it on as many platforms as possible with as many people as possible.
RECRUITING OTHERS TO TELL THEIR STORIES
Once you have submitted your own story, we encourage you to recruit others to share theirs. The more the stories, the greater the visibility! So get cracking!
QUESTIONS FROM ORGANIZATIONS
Is there anything in particular we need to do as an organisation to be eligible for nomination/selection?
The only thing we ask is for you to have your 12A tax exemption registration, and to have filed your tax returns (ITR FY 2016- 17, 2017-18) to be eligible to receive a donation. In the event your organisation qualifies for a donation in the global contest, a valid FCRA would be mandatory.
If my organisation wins, how will you contact us?
If you are one of the over 8800+ NGOs registered on www.guidestarindia.org
, it will be easy for us to find your contact details. If not, we can reach out to the storyteller who nominated you, and Google your organisation. If you have a website or any social media presence, it'll definitely come up. Don't worry - we'll find you! If you are not registered with GuideStar India, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org
Which stories are eligible for submission to the selection jury?
Up to 30 stories that receive the most votes are eligible for selection. The key is to get those votes in! So share the stories that nominate your organisation with your network of followers, donors and friends to maximise your chances.
On what basis will stories be put forward for the global #MyGivingStory recognition?
Only prize winning stories will be nominated for global recognition.These will be selected by the jury.